Universal military service
The protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan is a sacred duty and duty of every citizen. Military service is a special type of civil service for servicemen of the Armed Forces aimed at directly ensuring military security associated with armed protection of sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Status of serviceman
The status of a serviceman includes the general rights, freedoms and duties of a serviceman as a citizen of the Republic of Kazakhstan with exemptions and restrictions established by laws, as well as his rights, duties and responsibilities due to the specifics of military service.
Exceptions and limitations of rights and freedoms, special duties and responsibilities of servicemen are compensated by additional rights and benefits established by the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Military Service and Status of Servicemen".
The status of a serviceman is acquired by citizens:
- conscripted for military service (training) - from the date of issuing the order of the relevant head about the departure from the local military command authority to the place of military service (training);
- started a military service under the contract - from the date of the issuance of the order of the commander (chief) of the military unit (institution) to be included in the lists of the personnel of the unit;
- entered military educational institutions (military faculties), if they had not been servicemen – since the issuance of the order of the head of the educational institution to be included in the list of personnel of the educational institution (military faculty), and upon admission to a foreign military educational institution, from the day issuing an order of the head of the authorized body on sending to study.
- lancers who completed the second year of study at military schools that implement technical and vocational education programmes based on basic secondary education, - from the day of issuing the order of the head of a military educational institution to continue training the cadet, his transfer to the third year and appointment to the military post of non-permanent personnel.
The citizen loses the status of a serviceman from the day of expulsion from the lists of the military unit in connection with the dismissal from military service (the end of military fees).
Preparation of citizens for military service
The preparation of citizens for military service is a complex of compulsory measures conducted by state bodies with citizens of pre-conscription and conscription ages for the purpose of training them in the basics of military service, as well as with those who are liable for training and retraining in military technical and other military specialties for military service.
The preparation of citizens for military service includes:
- initial military training;
- military training in additional educational programs;
- training in military-technical and other specialties;
- military training under the reserve officers program.
General military training of citizens
In order to attract the public to civil defense activities and to train the necessary contingent for the manpower of the Armed Forces in wartime, universal military training is conducted:
- men – at the age from sixteen to sixty years inclusive;
- women who do not have children or have children older than ten years – between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, inclusive.
General military training of citizens is carried out by local military command agencies at the place of work, study and residence of citizens.
Liable for military service and conscripts are subject to military registration, except for:
- women who do not have a military specialty;
- persons released from military service;
- persons serving a sentence of imprisonment;
- permanently residing outside the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The maintenance of military service
Military service includes:
- conscription military service;
- military service under the contract.
Conscription military service includes:
- compulsory military service of soldiers (sailors);
- military service of reserve officers;
- military service in mobilization, martial law, in wartime and in the passage of military fees.
Military service under the contract is:
- military service of servicemen who are on military service under the contract on positions of trainings of soldiers (sailors), sergeants (foremen) and officers;
- military service and training of cadets and students of military educational institutions.
Conscription of citizens for military service
The conscription of citizens for military service is a complex of measures carried out by state bodies aimed at manning the Armed Forces on the basis of military duty.
The conscription of citizens for military service includes:
- conscription of citizens for compulsory military service;
- conscription of reserve officers;
- conscription for military training;
- conscription for mobilization, in martial law and in wartime.
Duties of citizens subject to conscription for military service
Citizens who are recruited for military service must appear on the agenda of the local military command authority in the conscription commission. The agenda is handed to the citizen personally by officials of local military command agencies or at the place of work (study) by the head of the organization against the signature.
In case of impossibility to present the agenda to the citizen, the personal body of internal affairs is personally responsible for ensuring his arrival.
Last update: 02.12.2020