Missionary work (from Latin missio – sending, act of sending) is one of the forms of activities performed by religious associations intended to convert representatives of other religions into their religion. Missionaries are usually met in universal religions, in particular world ones, and not common for national religions.
There is an “external” mission, i.e. beyond canonical territory and “internal” mission among non-believers and people of other faiths on a canonical territory.
Pursuant to the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On religious activities and religious associations missionary activities involve activities of the Republic of Kazakhstan citizens, foreigners and stateless individuals aimed at distribution of religious doctrine on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Pursuant to the Law, citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners and stateless individuals can perform missionary activities only after registration.
Registration of individuals performing missionary activities is carried out by local branches of an authorized agency within the term that does not exceed thirty calendar days from the date of documents submission. Registration term is suspended for execution of theological inspection in order to draw up a statement based on the materials submitted by missionaries.
Missionaries residing on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan should annually undergo re-registration in local branches of an authorized agency in regions, cities of republican significance and capital.
Pursuant to the Rules of Public Service Delivery “Registration and re-registration of individuals executing missionary activities”, the following documents and materials should be submitted to local executive bodies for registration:
- Application for registration (re-registration) of missionary.
- Copy of passport (for foreigners and stateless individuals residing in the Republic of Kazakhstan).
- Document issued by a religious association that enables performing missionary activities on behalf of religious association (signed and sealed (if available) by head of religious association with indication of issuance date).
- Copy of statute of religious association represented by a missionary.
- Religious literature, other information materials of religious content and religious items intended for missionary activities.
- Copy of letter on positive statement based on the results of theological inspection (if available).
Foreigners and stateless individuals residing in the Republic of Kazakhstan should also submit the following documents:
- Formalized or apostilled document certifying that a religious association represented by a missionary is officially registered under the legislation of a foreign country.
- Invitation issued by a religious association registered in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Documents issued by foreign countries are submitted with a notarized in the Republic of Kazakhstan translation into Kazakh and Russian, which in its turn should have a notarized in the Republic of Kazakhstan authenticity of translator`s signature.
Registration for citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners and stateless individuals, who submitted documents for registration as missionaries, can be denied on the basis of negative statement of theological inspection, and also if missionary activities jeopardize constitutional order, public order, rights and freedoms of people as well as health and morals.
Use of missionary materials of religious content and religious items is prohibited without obtainment of positive statement from theological inspection.
Execution of missionary activities without registration is prohibited.
Last update: 02.09.2021