Universal military service
Protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan is a sacred duty and obligation of each of the citizens. Military service is a special type of public service of the military personnel of the Armed Forces, aimed at directly ensuring military security associated with the armed protection of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The serviceman status
The serviceman status includes general rights, freedoms and obligations of the serviceman as a citizen of the Republic of Kazakhstan with exemptions and restrictions established by laws, as well as his rights, duties and obligations conditioned by the peculiarities of military service.
Exemptions and restrictions of the rights and freedoms, special duties and obligations of the servicemen are compensated by additional rights and benefits established by the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On military service and servicemen status".
The serviceman status is granted to the citizens:
- Who were called up for military service (training) - from the date of the issuance of the order of the commander (chief) on the departure from the local military department to the place of military service (training);
- who entered military service under contract - from the date of the issuance of the order of the commander (chief) of the military unit (institution) on the enrollment into the lists of the military unit's personnel;
- who were enrolled into military educational institutions (military faculties), if before that they were not military personnel - from the date of the issuance of the order of the head of the educational institution on the enrollment into the lists of the personnel of educational institution (military faculty), and upon admission to the foreign military educational institution - from the date of the issuance of the order from the head of the authorized body on the referral to study;
- lancers who completed the second year of study in military educational institutions implementing technical and vocational education programs on the basis of basic secondary education - from the date of the issuance of the order of the head of the military educational institution to continue the study, transfer to the third year and appointment to the military position of a non-permanent cadet composition.
A citizen loses the servicemen status from the date of exclusion from the lists of a military unit in connection with discharge from military service (the end of military training).
Preparation of citizens for military service
Preparation of citizens for military service is a set of mandatory measures carried out by state bodies with the citizens of pre-conscription and draft ages in order to train them the basics of military service, as well as with those liable for military service for the purpose of training and retraining in the military-technical and other military specialties for passing military service.
Preparation of citizens for military service includes:
- initial military training;
- military training under additional educational programs;
- training in military-technical and other specialties;
- military training under the reserve officers program.
General military training of the citizens
In order to attract the population to civil defense measures and prepare the necessary contingent for recruiting the Armed Forces in wartime, general military training is carried out for:
- men - between the ages of sixteen and sixty years, inclusive;
- women who do not have children or have children over the ten years old - between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years inclusive.
General military training of the citizens is carried out by local bodies of military administration at the place of work, study and residence of the citizens.
Persons liable for military service and conscripts are subject to military registration, with the exception of:
- women who do not have a military specialty;
- persons released from military service;
- persons serving a sentence of imprisonment;
- permanently residing outside the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The content of military service
Military service includes:
- conscription military service;
- military service under contract.
The military service by conscription includes:
- active military service of the composition of soldiers (sailors);
- military service of reserve officers;
- military service during mobilization, martial law, wartime and during military training.
The military service under contract includes:
- military service of the servicemen undergoing military service under contract in the positions of the composition of soldiers (sailors), sergeants (foremen) and officers;
- military service and training of the cadets and students of military educational institutions.
Induction of citizens for military service
Induction of citizens for military service is a set of measures carried out by state bodies aimed at recruiting personnel of the Armed Forces on the basis of military duty.
The call-up of citizens for military service includes:
- call-up of citizens for urgent military service;
- call-up for military service of the reserve officers;
- call-up for military training;
- call-up for mobilization, during martial law and in wartime.
Obligations of the citizens subject to the call-up for military service
Citizens who are subject to conscription for military service are obliged to appear upon draft card of the local military department to the draft board. The card is handed over to the citizen personally by the officials of local military department or at the place of work (study) by the head of the organization upon sign-off.
If it is impossible to hand over the card to the citizen personally, the ensuring his arrival is entrusted to the relevant internal affairs body.
Last update: 04.10.2021