What is to be done when facing with corruption
If you are faced with corruption cases on the part of civil servants or have become an unwitting witness of illegal corruption violations, then you need to contact the Anti-Corruption Agency of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Anti-Corruption Service) in one of the following ways:
- In written form to the postal address: 37 Seifullin str., 010000, Nur-Sultan or to the local departments at the place of residence;
- Via online service on e-Gov Portal (egov.kz) (digital signature is required);
- Via the Integrated Call Center of the Anti-Corruption Service by calling a toll-free number 1424.
The procedure for handling applications against corruption:
When an application is received by the Anti-Corruption Service, it is registered in the departmental information system, and then reviewed by the management and employees of the service.
If there are signs of a criminal nature in the application, then it is registered in the Information Accounting Book (IAB) and then:
- On submission of an application based on territoriality or jurisdiction;
- On submission of an application based on jurisdiction or to a relevant government agency or official;
- On registration and conducting of pre-trial investigation;
- On leaving without consideration and writing off to the nomenclature case (in the absence of an event or the composition of a criminal offense).
If an application is of a non-criminal nature:
- Written explanations are provided to an applicant for civil law appeals;
- Complaints about the actions/inactions of individuals conducting a pre-trial investigation are forwarded to the Prosecutor's office.
In each case, an applicant is informed in writing about a decision made.
Calling to the Call Center (1424):
The Call Center (1424) consults citizens on the following issues:
- countering corruption;
- rewarding individuals who have reported a fact of a corruption offense or otherwise assisted in countering corruption;
- other issues within the competence of the Anti-Corruption Service.
Acceptance of messages:
- on corruption facts, including those committed or upcoming corruption offenses;
- on illegal actions (inactions) of employees of the Anti-Corruption Service;
- on the issues of preventing entrepreneurial activities by civil servants;
- information about individuals wanted by the Anti-Corruption Service;
- on the activities of the Anti-Corruption Service (feedback, suggestions).
Call Center (1424) operating schedule
The Integrated Call Center operates 24/7.
Pursuant to Article 439 of the Administrative Offenses Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan, provision of knowingly false information about corruption offenses entails the following responsibility:
Provision of knowingly false information about the fact of a corruption offense to the anti-corruption body entails a warning or a fine in the amount of 20 MCI.
The same action, committed repeatedly within a year after the imposition of an administrative penalty, entails a fine in the amount of 40 MCI.
Encouragement of individuals who have reported a fact of a corruption offense or otherwise assisting in countering corruption
An individual who has reported the fact of a corruption offense or otherwise assists in countering corruption is protected by the state and is rewarded in accordance with the procedure established by the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Rules for rewarding individuals who have reported the fact of a corruption offense or otherwise assist in countering corruption" (approved by the Government Decree of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 1131 as of December 30, 2015).
Pursuant to the Rules, a one - time monetary reward is fixed in the following amounts:
- for administrative cases of corruption offenses: 30 MCI;
- for criminal cases of minor corruption crimes: 40 MCI;
- for criminal cases of moderate corruption crimes: 50 MCI;
- for criminal cases of severe corruption crimes: 70 MCI;
- for criminal cases of especially grave corruption crimes: 100 MCI.
- for corruption crimes where the amount of bribes and damages exceeds one thousand MCI, one-time monetary reward is 10% of the amount of a bribe or damage caused, or benefits provided, or the services rendered, but not more than four thousand MCI.
Individuals who have reported knowingly false information about the fact of a corruption offense are not subject to a reward and are to be held liable.
The procedure for acceptance of appeals
An application submitted by an individual on a criminal offense may be oral and written or in the form of an electronic document.
A written application or an application in the form of an electronic document should be signed by an individual submitting it and indicate information about an applicant.
An oral statement of a criminal offense is entered in a separate act of its acceptance, which should contain information about an applicant, including place of residence or work, as well as a document certifying an identity. An act is signed by an applicant and an employee who accepted a statement.
An oral statement made during the pre-trial investigation or during the trial is entered into a relevant act of the investigative action or in the minutes of a court session.
An appeal on a criminal offense made by an official of a government agency and by a legal entity should be submitted in writing with attachment of supporting documents and materials.
An applicant, with the exception of an official of a government agency, is warned of criminal liability for knowingly false denunciation, about which a note is made in the application or act, which is certified by an applicant's signature.
In the absence of sufficient data indicating signs of a criminal offense, statements and messages requiring audits and inspections by authorized bodies to establish signs of a criminal offense, without registration in the Unified Register of Pre-Trial Investigations, are sent to authorized government agencies for consideration within three days.
An anonymous report of a criminal offense cannot serve as a reason to start a pre-trial investigation.
Last update: 22.12.2021